Brush Up your Greek Idioms – a Quick Quiz
You know, when learning a language it is also about learning about another culture. Grammar and vocabulary per se will take you a long way, no doubt, but if you are an advanced learner/fluent speaker then the use of idioms will make you sound much more natural.
So, a quick quiz for you:
1. You are chatting with a friend making plans for a long weekend away with your partner (who you haven’t asked yet), so your friend says …
«Υπολογίζεις χωρίς τον …» He/she might not be able to come with you.
Β. Άντρα σου
2. When it is pouring with rain, what is it raining in Greek?
3. Looking for someone in Athens is like …
Ψάχνεις ψύλλους στ’ …
4. Ι nearly missed my flight. I got to the airport …
A. Στο παρά πέντε
B. Στην ώρα μου
Γ. Παρά τέταρτο
5. When you go to bed early, you sleep …
Κοιμάσαι με …
Α. τις κότες
Β. τις πάπιες
Γ. τις πυτζάμες
Check your answers here:
For all of the above the answer is A! Have a look:
1. Υπολογίζω χωρίς τον ξενοδόχο. Used when you make plans without being entirely sure as the person involved in the plans might not agree/be available etc
2. Βρέχει καρεκλοπόδαρα. …and not any animals! Used when it is absolutely pouring!
3. Ψάχνω ψύλλους στ’άχυρα. Used when looking for something or someone is a large area/space and thus very hard to find.
4. Στο παρά πέντε. Used when something is done last minute.
5. Κοιμάμαι με τις κότες. Used to describe the habit of sleeping very early in the evening.
Did you get any? If you are interested in finding out more about Greek colloquial language, why not join one of our Greek language courses?