The Certificate of Attainment in Greek was established in 1998 by the Greek Ministry of Education in response to a persisting request of all learners of Modern Greek in Greece and abroad for a state certificate of attainment of the language at various levels. Since then it has been redesigned and now tests all levels from A1 (beginner) to C2 (proficient). The examination covers all four language skills, namely speaking, listening, reading and writing. Certificates are issued for successful candidates at the any of the following six levels of attainment in Greek: Α1 (A1 for children 8-12 years old, and Α1 for adolescents and adults), Α2, Β1, Β2, Γ1 and Γ2. The levels are linked to the corresponding levels of the Common European Framework (CEFR).
The utility of the Certificate of Attainment in Greek
The Certificate of Attainment in Greek:
- provides any user of Greek with an expert and objective opinion of the level of their knowledge
- serves as proof of the successful candidate’s level of attainment in Greek in the work market
- is a requirement for the practice of various professions in Greece
- at B2 level it allows foreigners to register at a Greek institution of higher education, in case they do not have a Greek secondary education certificate (P.D. 138/9-7-99)
- at C2 Level it allows citizens of European Union member states to prove complete knowledge and fluent use of the Greek language and thus be employed in a Greek civil service position.
Certificate of Attainment in Greek for Professional Purposes
The Certificate of Attainment in Greek for Professional Purposes was established upon recommendation of the European Commission to the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs for reasons of compliance of the national legislation to European Union rules.
It is intended for professionals who are European Union citizens and who wish to work in Greece and have to prove their proficiency in Greek. Candidates are tested at level A2 of the Common European Framework (CEFR).
Examination Centres have been established in Europe, the USA, Canada, South America, Northern Africa, Asia and Australia. There are nine examination centres in Greece at the moment. We are proud to say that Andrioti School has been formally accredited by the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs and the Centre for the Greek Language as an examination center for the Examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in Greek.
For more information about the certificate please visit:
or contact Andrioti School directly.